I use horse sense in my business of selling
horse properties and farms.
I have over 35 years experience with horses. During those years the horses have taught me a lot. Yes, they have taught me how to ride and care for another living creature, but they have taught me much more than that, which I use in my business and even in my daily life.
Here are the things that my 4 legged teachers have taught me:
1. Patience – Horses – Horses have patience with us. They tend to respond to mistakes or disobedience without irritation, frustration, or loss of temper.
Business – Patience is used many times: when negotiating, when explaining a transaction or process to the Buyer or Seller, etc. Patience leads to . . . . .
2. Calmness & Relaxation – Horses – Relaxation is necessary for the rider to attain inner-harmony and for the horse to display his natural beauty.
Business – Helps deal with the obstacles in the way.
3. Listening – Horses – Horses, as do the handlers, must listen in order to understand the other.
Business – In order to better assist our clients, we must listen first to find out their needs.
4. Concentration & Focus – Horses – The horse must concentrate and focus on the handler in order to learn it’s lessons or to hear what we are saying.
Business – Focusing and paying attention to the subject at hand will help us to tune in and be more accurate.
5. Attitude – Horses – Horses seem to always be positive. Have you ever seen a horse with a depressed or negative attitude?
Business – Your attitude determines whether you can learn and grow from your experiences. Having a positive attitude helps to deal with the many challenges. Believing in the positive will bring about positive results.
6. Decision making – Horses – Indecision can be harmful and cause an accident around horses.
Business – Indeciveness means lack of confidence. To progress, you must be confident.
7. Confrontation – Horses – When a problem arises, we must analyze it and resolve the issue to prevent an accident.
Business – Problems become worse if ignored. They don’t stay the same or get better.
8. Communication – Horses – Horses are always listening and waiting for someone to lead. Nature has taught them if they don’t listen, they may end up in danger.
Business – This is usually lacking these days. Communication must be clear & complete: question, answer, acknowledgement. Communicating with the consumer helps us understand their needs so that we are better able to help them. Also, communication will help us to educate the consumer. Communication should be positive and not hurt another being.
9. Responsibility – Horses – We are responsible for our horse’s well-being.
Business – In order to share the successes, we must accept our obligations. We are responsible for our own accomplishments.
10. Trust – Horses – When a horse trusts it’s handler, it will relax and accept whatever is asked.
Business – If both client and agent are trusting of each other, they will be able to work together in harmony, therefore accomplish much more than if trust were lacking.
11. Commitment – Horses – Commitment to horses assures that total attention, understanding, care & love will be given.
Business – Commitment does not produce success, but it allows success to happen and for you to move forward.
12. Forgiveness – Horses – These are very forgiving animals. They don’t seem to hold a grudge against anyone.
Business – To move forward, we must be able to forgive ourselves and others for unacceptable behavior, and then forget about it.
13. Living in the Present – Horses – Horse’s don’t seem to have any worries. They are only concerned with the now.
Business – Why worry about the future or what happened in the past. We cannot do anything about the past and we certainly cannot control the future. The present is what is currently in our power.
14. Goals – This is the biggest part. Without goals, we roam about aimlessly. Goal setting allows us to see what we are aiming for. They should be set for long term and short term to help us get to the final goal.
There are many more things that the horses have taught me to assist Buyers and Sellers in their horse property needs, but the above are the most important.
horse farms in pa