It’s October and Northampton County in Pennsylvania will be holding its annual Open Gate Farm Tour this coming weekend, October 8th & 9th, 2011. Seventeen farms will be open for tours, demonstrations and products. A few of the sites will be open on Sunday ONLY. This event is being sponsored by the Penn State Co-operative Extension of Northampton County.
The following farms will be on the tour:
- Amore Farms will offer hayrides, pick your own pumpkins, corn maze, etc. You can also learn about wine tasting.
- Burnside Plantation (Sunday ONLY) – This is a 6 1/2 acre farm museum showing farm life from the mid 1700’s to the mid 1800’s. The Bethlehem Mounted Police horses are housed on this property. The activities will include pumpkin painting, Colonial crafts, demonstrations of Colonial cooking and self-guided tours.
- Buzas Greenhouse will offer for sale fresh vegetables and fruits grown of their own property. They will also show how integrated pest management keeps plants healthy.
- Clear Spring Farm is a family owned and operated vegetable farm will offer pick your own pumpkin and corn maze with a farm stand to purchase your fresh produce.
- Graver Farmstead is a Pennsylvania Bicentennial farm that raises natural & grass-fed beef, pork, poultry and eggs. Tours will be held on the hour where you will learn what it means to purchase meat from a farmer, herd management practices, and fun facts for kids.
- Hickory Grove Greenhouses is a year round retail & wholesale greenhouse. See the potting machine in action, tour the eco-friendly greenhouses and learn about plant propagation. Everyone will get to propagate a plant to take home.
- Juniperdale Farms is a family run dairy farm.
- Keepsake Dairy Farm is a grass-based dairy farm that specializes in raw milk, artisan cheeses, yogurts, and ice cream. They will be offering tours of the dairy and creamery and come see the cows.
- Klein Farms is another working dairy farm with an on-site store selling dairy products. Tours will be held along with hayrides and a free corn maze. Listen to the Blue Grass music on Sunday afternoon.
- Mode; Rotation Grazing Project is a 68 acre rotational grazing project that was created by the Bangor Area School and Martins-Jacoby Watershed Association, with the help of a local farmer. The project fences grazing sites and manages pastures and animals to benefit the farmer, animals and the environment. Walking and hayride tours will be offered along with talks about the benefits of the watershed.
- Northampton County 4H Center (Sunday ONLY) will hold a schooling horse show beginning at 10AM and will also have numerous animal exhibits from noon – 4PM. Also, enjoy the delicious and famous chicken barbecue.
- Point Phillip Perennials is 2 acres of gardens of many of unusual plants. Guided garden walks will be offered. Discussions of many rare and unusual plants will be held.
- Purple Haze Alpacas will discuss the benefits of starting with good quality alapacas for fiber and yarn and spinner demonstrations will also be offered. Photo opportunities available with the babies.
- Raub Farms is a family run farm. A hayride, corn maze and pumpkin patch will be available during the tour.
- R.C. Sons Garden Center and Greenhouses will give tours of their mum field and garden center. Enjoy the fish and the lily ponds.
- Seiple Farms is a 5th generation farm working for over 120 years. They will have pumpkins, gourds, Indian corn, animals and a haunted house. They will also have concession stands, hayrides to the pumpkin patch and a corn maze.
- Smith Krekk Alpacas is a family run alpaca farm.They will teach about alpaca herd management, and demonstrations that will include spinning, fiber processing and discussions. Their on-site store will also be open.
- Spring Valley Farms is a preserved dairy farm. They will tell the story of where milk comes from along with handouts. Their own ice cream and sundae bar will be available for sale.
- Valley View Farm is a pasture based farm offering all natural meats. Hayrides will be offered with brief descriptions of each animal type.
A gorgeous weekend is forecast, so come on out to learn and enjoy about different farms and farming.
Hope to see you there!